Versioning in Playbooks allows ThreatConnect® users to maintain and manage versions of their Playbooks and Components. Every time a Playbook or Component is activated, a new minor version is autosaved. Users can create and comment on major versions, as well as split off older versions to create new Playbooks and Components. See Playbooks for more details on Playbooks in general. This article uses Playbooks for its examples, but the same principles apply to Components.
In the Playbooks version-numbering scheme, the major-version number is followed by a decimal point and then the minor-version number. For example, version 5.1 indicates major version 5 and minor version 1. Major versions are created manually by users. Minor versions are automatically created every time a Playbook is activated (i.e., when the user toggles the Active slider at the top right of the Playbook Designer to the “on” position (orange)).
To view the version history for a Playbook, open the Playbook in the Playbook Designer and click the vertical ellipsis icon in the upper right-hand corner to display the administrative options (Figure 1). Note that the current version number is displayed next to the name of the Playbook on the left side of the screen.
Select Version History. The Playbook Versions drawer will open on the left-hand side of the screen (Figure 2).
- Name: This column provides the name of the Playbook for the given version. Except for the version that is currently displayed in the Playbook Designer, the name is a link that, when clicked, will open that version of the Playbook in the Playbook Designer. Below the name is an informational comment. For major versions (i.e., version x.0), the comment is user generated. (See the “Creating a New Major Version” section for more information on entering a comment for a major version.) For minor versions, the comment is automatically generated and provides the date and time of when that version was created.
- Version: This column provides the version number of the Playbook. The shaded circle (for version 4.1 in Figure 2) indicates the version that is currently being viewed in the Playbook Designer. The checkmark indicates the most recently active version. If the checkmark is gray and circled (), as in Figure 2 for version 4.1, then that Playbook is not currently active. A green, uncircled checkmark () indicates that the Playbook is currently active.
- Created: This column provides the date that the Playbook was created.
Historic versions of Playbooks are uneditable. There are three ways to work with a historic version of a Playbook:
- Click on the historic version to view it in the Playbook Designer, and then clone it and work with the clone as a new Playbook. In this method, the clone will be the first version in a separate version history from that of the original Playbook.
- Click on the historic version to view it in the Playbook Designer, and then activate it. The Playbook will become the latest minor version in the major-version series for the historic version. For example, if a Playbook has versions 2.0–2.5 and the user activates version 2.2, then minor version 2.6 will be created, even if there are major-version series that come after the 2.x series (i.e., versions 3.0 and later).
- Click on the historic version to view it in the Playbook Designer, and then create a new major version from the historic version. (See the “Creating a New Major Version” section.) In this method, the new major version will be added to the versioning of the original Playbook. In the example in Figure 2, the Playbook originally started out as “My Playbook 2.” The user changed its name to “Sample Playbook” at version 2.0. For version 3.0, the user created a new major version from one of the 1.x versions, which is the reason that the name of version 3.0 is once again “My Playbook 2.”
Click the + Create New Version link at the top left of the drawer to create a new major version of the Playbook. See the “Creating a New Major Version” section for more information. Toggle the Major Versions Only slider at the top right of the drawer to “on” (orange) to view only the major versions in the version history (Figure 3).
Only 25 versions of a Playbook may exist at a given time. Once that threshold has been reached, the Playbook Versions drawer will display an error message at the top left to indicate that creating a new version (i.e., creating a major version) or activating the current version (i.e., creating a minor version) will delete the oldest version (Figure 4).
Creating a New Version
Creating a New Major Version
To create a new major version of a Playbook, click the + Create New Version link at the top left of the Playbook Versions drawer (see “Version History” earlier in this article), or select Create New Version from the vertical ellipsis menu at the top right when viewing the Playbook in the Playbook Designer. The Create New Version Playbook window will appear (Figure 5).
Enter information about the new version in the Comment section. This text will appear under the Playbook’s name for this version in the Playbook Versions drawer.
New major versions can also be created by importing .pbx files. Select Import New Version from the vertical ellipsis menu at the top right when viewing the Playbook in the Playbook Designer or at the right of the row for the Playbook in the table of the Playbooks tab on the Playbooks screen. Choose a .pbx file from the browser window that appears. The file will be imported as a new major version for the Playbook.
NOTE: When importing new major versions, the Playbook is immediately imported after its selection in the browser window. The user will not be prompted to enter a comment, and no comment for that version will appear in the Playbook Versions drawer.
Creating a New Minor Version
To create a new minor version of a Playbook, simply activate it, or, if it is already active, de-activate it, make all desired changes, and then re-activate it.