The Playbooks Return on Investment (ROI) feature allows ThreatConnect® users to view and visualize the return on investment for the Playbooks executed in their Organization—that is, how much money and time each execution of a given Playbook has saved them (versus doing all of the tasks in the Playbook manually, without orchestration) over various periods of time. It also provides the total number of executions of a Playbook over the selected time period. See Playbooks for more details on creating, editing, and running Playbooks.
Follow these steps to configure ROI parameters for a Playbook:
- Create a new Playbook, or open a Playbook in Design Mode. Click the Settings icon in the upper right-hand corner of the Playbook design pane to access the Settings menu (Figure 1).
- In the ROI section, enter the number of minutes of analyst time that will be saved with each execution of the Playbook in the Minutes box, or use the up and down arrows to add or subtract increments of 1, respectively. Enter the hourly rate of the analyst in the Rate/Hour box, or use the up and down arrows to add or subtract increments of 1. Every time the Playbook executes, these values will be used to calculate how much time and money were saved by executing the Playbook rather than having the analyst do the work manually.
NOTE: The values set in the ROI section are specific to each Playbook. Different values may be set for different Playbooks.
- Once the ROI values have been configured, click anywhere outside the Settings menu. The menu will disappear, and the values will automatically be saved.
ROI data are viewed in the Playbook ROI section of the Playbook Metadata card at the top of the Playbooks screen (Figure 2).
The Playbook ROI section may be hidden by clicking on the Playbook Metadata box on the top right of the screen, which collapses the entire Playbook Metadata card. If the Auto display Metadata switch is orange, then the Playbook Metadata card will always display in expanded form in all Playbooks that the user opens. If the user toggles the Auto display Metadata switch to gray, then the Playbook Metadata card will be collapsed in all Playbooks that the user opens.
The four tabs in the Playbook ROI section provide ROI information for the given period of time (7 days, 30 days, 60 days, 90 days):
- Money Saved: the amount of money that the all executions of the Playbook over the given time period have saved;
- Time Saved: the amount of time (days, hours, minutes) that all executions of the Playbook over the given time period have saved;
- Execution Count: the number of executions of the Playbook over the given time period;
- Execution Count Graph: a graph depicting the number of executions of the Playbook over the course of the given time period;
- OVERALL FINANCIAL SAVINGS: the overall amount of money that all executions of the Playbook have saved over its entire existence;
- OVERALL TIME SAVED: the overall amount of time (days, hours, minutes) that all executions of the Playbook have saved over its entire existence.
NOTE: OVERALL FINANCIAL SAVINGS and OVERALL TIME SAVED will show the same data regardless of which tab has been selected.
Playbook ROI Metrics
Playbook ROI Metrics are available on Dashboard Metric cards. To access them when adding a new card, scroll down the Metric card types until the Playbooks sub-section appears (Figure 3). The available Playbook ROI Metrics are Playbook Execution Count, Playbook Financial Savings, and Playbook Hours Saved. See Dashboard for more information on Dashboard Metric cards.